Monday, January 19, 2009

Tapping into His Strength, part I

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~Philippians 4:13 (NKJV)

We all know these words are Truth, and I'm sure we've quoted them in reference to one situation or another, but do we truly believe them?

I find myself saying these words, praying these words, then turning around and attempting to do the work in my own strength.

For example...

If you've been reading for a while, you know I struggle as a mother. I lose my cool. I yell. I throw tantrums. I cry, repent, ask forgiveness (from God, my husband, and my children), I commit to changing, and for a few weeks or months it's better. But then we have one of those days, and it starts all over again.

Don't get me wrong, I have no unrealistic goals of being the perfect mother all the time. But I do have a reasonable expectation that I can be free from the bondage of anger, which would dramatically change the way I parent.

After years of this cycle, why am I not free? After all, I know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

I suspect that my freedom lies in the method. My current method involves two steps: asking for God's help, then trying to be more patient and loving. Sure, the praying aspect is good. But from there I operate under my own efforts. I try.

Sometimes, though, trying is just not enough. So what does it really mean - through Christ?

I'm going to ponder this some more, later in the week. But I'd like to know your thoughts. How does one move from their own strength into Christ's power?

Reminder: The God Chronicles tomorrow. Mr. Linky will just be open for the one day; 24 hours. Write your own post about how you've seen God working in your life, link up here, and connect with others who want to write these things on their hearts (Proverbs 6:21) and leave a heritage of God's grace for the next generation (Joel 1:2-3).

5 comments:

  1. Like you said, I think praying for God's strength is a great first step! I think too, it is good to spend time in His Word each day, particularly in the morning before you start the day, which I am sure you do! Maybe focus some of your time with God reading about what He says about anger. Its not only freeing yourself of the flesh ( anger ) but also completing that process by replacing the flesh with putting on righteousness ( patience ). Something that has helped me gain self-control and keep focused on doing things in HIS strength is to like we said, spend a good amount of time in His Word and prayer in the morning, but then also at lunch, the afternoon and before bed, I spend 5-10 minutes reading a small passage and praying. This helps me remember Who I am living for and reminds me to ask for grace to say no to the flesh ( Titus 2:11-13). I hope that helps some... but what I think you may benefit from even more is a broadcast I heard on the radio this morning. I'll give you the link and I hope you have time to listen to it!!! :o)
    http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/FamilyLife_Today/archives.asp?bcd=2009-1-19

    I hope this is the right link... if not, go to oneplace.com and search for FamilyLife Today and go to the broadcast for January 19th, 2009

    ~Beth Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts, Beth Ann. I will head over and listen as soon as I've got a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you know/do these things too... sometimes they are nice reminders... I've also started some memorization too on things that I struggle with. So, besides praying for God's grace and strength in those moments, I use His Word in memorization to reinforce me. Hope you enjoyed the broadcast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 5-year-old just walked in the room with my Bible and asked me if I could find the "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" verse.

    She then asked me if I could get out her Steve Green CD that has that song on it. So, I found it in her Bible for her (amazingly one of the few verses I have memorized and actually know the reference as well!) and then I went and put the song on for her.

    I came back to the computer, and pulled up your blog on my reader and the the first thing I see is Phillippians 3:14. I just chuckled. Funny how God does that sometimes.

    Anyway, onto the real reason to comment! If I knew how to do this I so would have conquered this healthy-eating and lifestyle thing a long time ago! Here's the thing though, I've gone through some necessary steps to get me to where I am today. Here they are...

    1. I did "Breaking Free" by Beth Moore and God opened my eyes to finally recognize this as what it is, a stronghold that Satan has been using in my life to hold me back from true freedom in Christ.

    2. I have committed to spending time with God each and every morning to give me the "strength" to fight this battle.

    3. I am memorizing scripture to use as my sword in this battle. Galations 5:1 this week!

    4. I am living in expectation of what God is doing and will do in me. (Getting ready to start Believing God as part of that.)

    5. I am taking the battle day by day, not expecting an immediate change, but knowing that this is a process and God is working in me. With patience and perseverance, He will break this stronghold and I am never giving up on the fight!

    I know it may seem a little "over-the-top" to some, but I see so much spiritual warfare in all of this. I want to break any stronghold in my life that is keeping me from living a Spirit-filled life!

    Another one of Beth's studies that has helped me in this area is "Living Beyond Yourself". I do study other authors, but it just so happens that Beth has fought some strongholds and drawn her strength from Christ too! :)

    I hope that was helpful? I'm right there in the battle with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, that would be 4:13, my goodness, what is He telling me today?

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!