Friday, January 2, 2009

The God Chronicles

This blog is the closest thing I've had to a journal in about 15 years. When I've gone on to Glory, my hope is that my words here will hold meaning and memories for my children. My prayer is that they will see and understand who God is, was, and ever will be through my story. I trust that they will find, buried among these web pages, truth, wisdom, reality, humour, forgiveness, grace, understanding, and joy.

Our pastor encourages us to make "God Stories" a part of our everyday lives at home. It is the experience of looking for - and seeing - God actively at work in our lives and hearts that helps our children to make our faith their own. These moments, where we see our LORD's hand on our lives, are not to be secrets buried deep within the recesses of our memories. They are treasures, meant to be put on display, so that His greatness is known!

Hear this, you elders; listen, all who live in the land. Has anything like this ever happened in your days or in the days of your forefathers? Tell it to your children, and let your children tell it to their children, and their children to the next generation.
~Joel 1:2-3

"Go over before the ark of the LORD your God into the middle of the Jordan. Each of you is to take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, 'What do these stones mean?' tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever." ~Joshua 4:5-7

Every month, I will be writing a story for "The God Chronicles." These stories will be my memorial stones. It may be something that I recently experienced, or a story from the past that begs to be shared. Sometimes, it might look something like this. Other times, maybe not. What's important is that the reality of God's active participation in our lives is recorded. Not only to pass the stories on throughout the generations of our family, but to look back on and remember (especially during difficult times).

I'd like to invite you to join me in chronicling how the Great One is working in your life and in your heart. Each month, on the 20th, I will put up my post along with a Mr. Linky. If you are a blogger, you can write your story for "The God Chronicles" on your blog and link to your story using Mr. Linky (so other readers can visit one another and hear how God is working). If you are not a blogger, you can still participate by posting your story in the comments (don't worry, I'm cool with really long comments).

It would be great to have a button to accompany the series! So, if you (or someone you know) has a knack for these things, please be in touch with me.

4 comments:

  1. Tyler-
    I just want you to know how much you are an encouragement to me through your blog. I started blogging last spring as a way to chronicle my family life, but I was focusing on the "funny mommy stuff". While I enjoyed that and it was "fun", I've felt more of a prodding to chronicle the spiritual side for my family too. I love your post today because that is exactly where my heart is at right now. My blogging this year is going to be more spiritual as that is what I want to chronicle for my children too! I will definitely try to participate in your God Chronicles! Great idea! Many blessings to you in 2009 and thanks for your blogging!

    (By the way, thanks for your comment awhile back with the women's ministry info. I kept forgetting to let you know that I got it. I really appreciate the time you took to let me know what God is doing in your ministry! Oh, and I probably won't be going to SheSpeaks this year. Unless God makes it abundantly clear that He wants me there and paves the way, I'll be doing some other things. It is still something I would love to do at some point in the future though!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. Some years ago, I felt led by God to have the women of our church tell their stories in book form. Over 20 women wrote their stories in a booklet called "Story Tellers". We should all be story tellers for God. And for those of us (like me) who are hesitant to tell it verbally for fear of being "preachy" or "weird" or "offensive", what better way than writing it? Your idea is inspired.
    Love,
    Lucille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how you encourage me! I have missed stopping by regularly and catching up with you!

    You have such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! I definitely want to do this on my blog too!

    Karalee

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!