Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pondering in my Heart

In my quiet time this morning, I felt the Lord leading me to the book of James. There is so much wise counsel on those six pages, I had a difficult time deciding what to underline. I decided to pick a couple small sections to ponder throughout my day.

Trials and Temptations
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything. ~James 1:2-4


Right from the beginning of his letter, James packs a punch. I know I want to be mature in my faith, not lacking. I even accept that oftentimes maturity is only developed through adversity. But to consider it pure joy? Whew.

Listening and Doing
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires...If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. ~James 1:19-20, 26 (also read all of chapter 3)


It seems straightforward - watch your mouth. But how? God needs to remind me of this command often. You know, "thou shalt not gossip/yell/complain/nag." That one. It seems I'm a bit slow in learning, or forgetful. I think the tongue is an area that a lot of women stumble in. Isn't it? Please tell me I'm not the only one!

Are there any passages that God has laid on your heart lately, that you are taking the time to ponder?

1 comment:

  1. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10...going through a difficult time, or having a health concern, etc., these verses are a good reminder that God's grace is all we need and it's always there to draw from. Also, his power is infinitely greater than anything we could come up with to solve things..."My power works best in weakness" I'm constantly needing to be reminded about this as I tend to like to take control and figure things out on my own:)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!