Monday, January 10, 2011

Crave God, Not Food

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for Him."
~ Lamentations 3:22-24

Over the past twelve years, probably nine of them have begun with a secret resolution in my heart. It's secret for a couple reasons... First, I don't necessarily "do" the resolution thing. Second, I am not too keen on setting myself up for public failure. Nine years with the same resolution pretty much screams the fact that I've messed it up eight times or so!

During my few years blogging, though, I have also discovered the motivation that comes with some public accountability and the joy of encouragement from others who understand. As God and I have been continually lobbing this issue back and forth, I feel that that the best way to keep my heart focused on what God wants for me is to speak my secrets aloud.

They're nothing new, you've heard them before (if you've been reading here for any amount of time)...

I have a problem with food. As a result, I have a problem with my weight and health.

Food is my friend, my comfort, my warm fuzzy on a late night. I turn to food and ask it to fill all my empty places. I go to food to celebrate, to grieve, to get angry, to fill loneliness and boredom. And then I consume until I am so filled up that I feel sick.

I tend to turn to food at times when I should be turning to God. What has happened to my body is the evidence of my idolatry. Once again, I find myself ready to lay this issue before God (and you), so that He can sift me and get rid of the stuff in my life that is not pleasing and honoring to Him.

I will be joining a community of women as we study Lysa TerKeurst`s Made to Crave together. We will have the benefit of weekly check ins with one another, as well as weekly webcasts taught by Lysa. And I will be sharing about my journey here each Monday morning, to keep myself accountable on this journey. As is my prayer with every messy part of my life, I pray that by sharing my journey and the lessons I learn along the way, you will be encouraged in your life as well.

And hey - if you are doing this lifestyle change, too (whether with the help of Made to Crave, another resource, or on your own) - why don`t you stop by on Mondays so we can celebrate our progress together?

Because of the Lord`s great love, I will not be consumed by my desire for food,
for His compassions for me never fail.
They are new every morning, and every time I want a snack;
great is Your faithfulness - You are faithful to fill all my empty spaces.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion, not food;
therefore I will wait for Him to satisfy my cravings."

P.S. On January 24, I will be hosting a giveaway of two copies of Made to Crave. If you want to buy a copy now, go here. :)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for airing your secret resolution, you are not alone!!! and you are an encouragement to me and I am sure to others. And the next time I offer to come over and bring lunch, I will not choose McD's....for your health, for mine, and for our kids!
    And I want in on this Made to crave thing....webcasts and check ins....

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who admits they don't usually admit present failures out loud (just the past ones I've overcome)! I joined the online community SPARKPEOPLE and am keeping better track of what I'm up to as well.

    I probably wont ever bring you lunch....sorry. I tried it once before and it almost killed me. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you well know, this is a current struggle of mine as well. Praying for you as you and God tackle this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for being so honest - lots of us struggle with this. Food issues are hard, because unlike other addictions, it cannot be completely given up as we need food to live. (I'm not suggesting others addictions are easier, just pointing out a major difference.)

    I'm currently trying to eat healthy and exercise because I know I need to take of this body God has blessed me with and use it to serve him.
    Can't wait to check back in on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not alone sister. I am right back at this place again also and need to choose God or food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to turn to food at times when I should be turning to God. What has happened to my body is the evidence of my idolatry.
    WOW!
    Late in life now, I am reaping the pain of not eating veggies for 40 years. And basically eating whatever I wanted - cake mainly.
    Now I have a serious health issue.
    I didn't realize that food was my idol. :-(
    I do realize that I sure need God a LOT more now because this is very serious now.
    And I have 30 pounds to lose and keep off, just to live.
    Thanks Tyler.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!