Friday, January 7, 2011

Change of Plans

As a child, I was sure I would grow up to be a teacher. Probably because there were a couple teachers I really loved, and I aspired to be like them.

As a teen, I was certain I'd become a counsellor. In part, because that's what all my friends told me I should be when they came to me for advice. Also likely due to the fact that I spent some time in the presence of some great counsellors who helped me through a lot of junk.

While taking my degree in psychology, I began to think maybe I'd prefer to be a social worker, helping and protecting children.

Over my years in ministry, I've often pondered going to seminary to be a pastor.

It's interesting how I am not in any of those careers, but am instead now pursuing a career/ministry as a speaker and writer. And yet, I am all of those things I aspired to be...

While I have not chosen to home school or work in a school, I spend countless hours every day teaching. Just last night Braeden (12) and I were talking about eclipses. A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to explain the logistics of setting up a ministry. Only moments ago I sat down with two three-year-old boys to train them in the fine art of sharing.

I don't have a master's in therapy, and have never received pay to talk people through their problems, yet I have the opportunity to counsel many. Friends continue to ask me for advice and trust me with their problems. As my children get older (especially the girls), moments where a listening ear and a word of wisdom come more frequently.

I am not employed by the government, nor do I rescue children from abusive homes. Yet the message I have lived and am now called to share - it's all about changing the lives of women, children, and families for the better.

It's unlikely that I will ever bear the title "Pastor" or "Reverend," but developing a Scriptural message to inspire transformation in women is pretty much that job in a nutshell, isn't it?

I marvel at the way God can weave together His plans and purposes with our hopes, dreams, and talents to create something of Kingdom significance.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
How is your life different than what you hoped or expected?
And can you see glimmers of those hopes and dreams, albeit in a different form than you anticipated, woven throughout your life?

4 comments:

  1. I always wanted to be married and stay home. I didn't dream about the kids, so much. More about the husband! And I wanted to work with the homeless.

    What's different? I never dreamed of a husband like the one God gave me. I truly don't deserve him. And I never thought I'd have this many kids! My work with the homeless is not full-time but I'm more than happy with the ministry I have right in my own home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a headteacher (principal) till I realised you had to be a teacher first!
    In my teens I wanted to be a doctor - and here I am! but I never really thought about how that would fit together with the rest of what I wanted (husband and family, church and serving) and I'm still trying to work that one through :)
    I think the question of what I dreamed of doing for God and what I am now doing is huge though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to be an actress or model. Typical dreamer.

    In high school, like you, I wanted to be a counselor. I'm usually a good listener. And after going through counseling myself, I figured I could help others.

    Now I'm writing and speaking. :) Something I never imagined doing. I was the one who dropped out of college because I was required to take a communications class, otherwise known as public speaking. God is amazing. Still discovering lots a long the way. The ride is full of adventure.

    Nice to meet you.

    Peace,

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to be a race car driver. Now I just drive too fast.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!