Friday, January 28, 2011

Tough Parenting Moments: When Your Own Kid is the "Problem"

I looked at the unfamiliar number that had been left on the caller ID, puzzled. The gravelly voice in the message was difficult to understand. I listened again. Sighing, I handed the phone to Pat. Words I never thought I'd hear about my own offspring... Your children have been bullying other kids on the bus.

I honestly just wanted to cry. Or maybe pretend I'd never received that particular message; maybe a glitch in the voicemail system. Instead, I decided to step back and let Daddy handle it. They were in the office a long, long time. Every now and then I'd hear a raised voice in frustration, a voice lifted up in self-defence and justification, and tears and sniffles.

Two very solemn children emerged, went to their rooms, and penned letters of apology. Following review and approval of the letters, said children returned to their rooms - Bibles, notebooks, and pens in hand - to talk to God about their behaviour.

Here are the verses the Lord showed them...

Forget about the wrong things people do to you. You must not try to get even. Love your neighbor as you love yourself.
~Leviticus 19:18 (ICB)

Blessed is the one who obeys the law of the Lord. He doesn't follow the advice of evil people. He doesn't make a habit of doing what sinners do. He doesn't join those who make fun of the Lord and his law. Instead, he takes delight in the law of the Lord. He thinks about his law day and night. He is like a tree that is planted near a stream of water. It always bears its fruit at the right time. Its leaves don't dry up. Everything godly people do turns out well. ~Psalm 1:1-3 (NIrV)

Sometimes God is a better parent than I ever could be. It's a shame I don't let Him (and my husband) lead my children more often.

4 comments:

  1. Amen. I love this...and I love how God sees fit to humble us as parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious life lessons.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said it once before, but it always needs repeating. "God teaches us more about ourselves through our children, than He teaches our children through us." (as per Kevin Beehner, SPAC)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true friend...So true. My heart always hurts that I can't make their decisions for them. That I can show them the way, but they have to choose. Do you think that is how God feels towards us? "I want them to choose Me. I love them too much to choose for them, but the heartache they bring when they don't choose Me." He loves us enough to show us the way to bring us to the right path and let us choose. AMAZING! Love you and your willingness to be real. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!