Thursday, February 14, 2008

Here's a fun Valentine's idea!

Some very fun people and other very funny people have decided to start a little bloggy linky thing and post their 'how we met' stories! (You can join in the fun, too - just follow the links.) Never one to be left out, I decided to share our story...

Apparently Pat knew me before I knew him, if you know what I mean. I had dated the occasional fella in high school, and maybe one or two of those were friends of Pat's. So, it would seem we crossed paths at a number of parties (these, of course, occurred during my 'lost' days - you know, before I was 'found').

I do recall a school dance where I had a bit of a crush going for Pat, and we danced together a bit, but then he asked me to introduce him to my friend Claire - the one with the big...hair. ;) Not one to be discouraged easily, or alone long (after all, on the eve of this dance I had been without a steady boyfriend for practically forever!), I decided that I would date Pat's friend Jeff - for a while, anyway. After all, there was no sense in waiting around and being lonely!

In 12th grade, my decision-making abilities temporarily flounderd, resulting in me needing to find somewhere to live. Recalling that Pat (who had by this time become a really good 'buddy' of mine) had previously housed friends, I called him up. His dad graciously agreed to rent out one of their extra bedrooms to me...I moved in and got to work (on the tub, the stove, the floors). Thus commenced my career of cleaning up after Pat! During my months residing at Chateau Rowan, my 'crush' bloomed to 'love.' As always, it seemed, my timing was off - Pat had a girlfriend, a steady girlfriend, one he'd been with for over a year. Unable to bear the heartache, I ventured off on my own (well, with a roommate).

Several months later, during another evening of poor decision-making and high alcohol content, I encountered my heart's desire. Under the pulsating of the disco lights, he proclaimed his love for me, promising to find and marry me very soon! Sigh, how romantic...

After a few days with no phone call, I again decided to move on. It wasn't until several months later that I received that much anticipated phone call, "hey Tyler. Wanna come over? I'm havin' a party." Again, I sighed. It must have been nearly midnight before Pat confessed that he was dating someone, but as I grabbed my purse and coat and opened his apartment door he quickly dialed her on the phone and broke up with her on the spot. What a charmer! This was May 5, 1997.


Much to our parents' disappointment, we soon found ourselves expecting a baby. Pat 'proposed' on Valentine's Day of 1998 - I say 'proposed' because I'm not entirely sure putting a ring down on the bed, hollering at the proposee to go make said bed, then coming up behind her and asking, "so, will ya?" is truly a proposal, lol. Especially when he was informed that under no uncertain terms was said proposee to have a diamond ring on her finger BEFORE said baby arrived! Braeden Thomas was born on March 16, 1998 - the day before St. Patrick's Day (which was too bad for Pat, because I know he had hoped to enjoy some green beverages with friends). After a long engagement (my choice, I really wanted to lose all the baby weight), we walked down the aisle and made it legal on July 3, 1999.

There were some tough years, as we each took our turns outgrowing the party phase. No surprise, but it took him a bit longer than it took me, lol. But even through those times, I knew there was no one else in the world who was just right for me. Only Pat. And much to my great joy, he is really learning how to be romantic (check out my Valentine's email from today):

You are the greatest wife, friend, lover and teammate anyone could ask for. You make me want to be a better person everyday.
Thank you for bring me to Jesus. You sacrificed so much to do that for me. I will never be able to completely thank you for that.
I love how great you are with the kids. I love how safe they are with you. I love that you will be there for them when they cry and need a hug. I love that you pour out your love to our kids unconditionally.
I love that you care so much for your friends. I love that you bring your friends and everyone around you closer to God. I love that people look to you for guidence with their walk with God. I love that you sacrifice your own time to give them everything they need.
I love that you love God with all your heart.
I love that you love (respect) me. I love that you love so much.
But most of all I LOVE YOU.


Aw, golly. I am one blessed girl!

4 comments:

  1. The man who posted that beautiful Valentine's email happens to be my son-in-law (yes, Tyler is my daughter). And sometimes he can almost bring a tear to my eye - not that a single thing he said to Tyler was untrue - but he took the time to say it and said it well. What a guy!

    Not only is my daughter blessed to have him as her husband but our whole family is blessed to have Pat in our lives.

    Love you both,

    Frieda

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, thanks for linking up and sharing your story! I'm having a good time reading how people got together. They're all so different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great story. What a beautiful note! How long have you two been married now?

    We have a similar type of story!
    Many blessings,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY! Those are some priceless pics! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!