Monday, June 16, 2008

Memory Lane...

Do you ever hear a song that brings you back in time? When you listen to the lyrics, you actually FEEL the emotions?

I used to have a song. It was my teenage angst, broken-hearted, bitter and angry, belt-it-out-loud song. Nothing was more cathartic than singing it will all my heart and soul, all the while sobbing and hiccuping. This song carried me through many dumpings and ditchings. I remember the first time it took on this purpose for me...DP, my grade 7 sweetheart. We 'went out' for about 5 weeks. Wait, maybe it was 3 weeks. Whatever - it was a serious, long-term commitment. We slowed danced and he put his hand in the back pocket of my jeans - nothing says true love quite like that!

This song has endured the test of time, carrying me through explosive arguments with Pat during the early years of our 'courtship.' (Don't worry, we're way better at being subtle and cutting when we fight nowadays. Kidding. We're good. Usually. Most of the time. Today. *wink*)

Take a listen. I can feel the tears and anger welling just reading those angst-filled lyrics...



I thought I should paste the actual lyrics down here, because I was pretty certain as a teen that she was saying "drive the women eff-in wild" - thought it would be good to clarify that, lol!

You're struttin' into town like you're slingin' a gun
Just a small town dude with a big city attitude
Honey are ya lookin' for some trouble tonight
Well all right

You think you're so bad, drive the women folk wild
Shoot 'em all down with the flash of your pearly smile
Honey but you met your match tonight
Oh, that's right

You think you'll knock me off my feet 'til I'm flat on the floor
'Til my heart is cryin' Indian and I'm beggin for more
So come on baby
Come on baby show me what that loaded gun is for

[CHORUS]
If you can give it I can take it
'Cause if this heart is gonna break it's gonna take a lot to break it I know tonight
Somebody's gonna win the fight
So if you're so tough
Come on and prove it
You heart is down for the count and you know you're gonna lose it
Tonight you're gonna go down in flames
Just like Jesse James

You're an outlaw lover and I'm after your hide
Well you ain't so strong, won't be long 'til your hands are tied
Tonight I'm gonna take you in dead or alive
That's right

You break the laws of love in the name of desire
Take ten steps back cause I'm ready baby
Aim and fire
Baby there's nowhere you gonna run tonight
Ooh that's right

Well you've had your way with love but it's the end of the day
Now a team of wild horses couldn't drag your heart away
So come on baby
Come on baby
Come on baby you know there ain't nothing left to say

[CHORUS INSTRUMENTAL]

You think you'll knock me off my feet 'til I'm flat on the floor
'Til my heart is cryin' Indian and I'm beggin for more
So come on baby
Come on baby, come on

[CHORUS]

Tonight you're gonna go down in flames
Just like Jesse James
Tonight you're gonna go down in flames
Just like Jesse James

I'm gonna shoot you down Jesse James


Always one to give credit where credit is due, my inspiration for this post was stolen borrowed from Big Mama.

4 comments:

  1. Oh the days of "going with" some silly boy. The days of no worries or responsibilities. sigh.
    We didn't know how good we had it, did we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh totally! luv that feeling, think that's one reason i got so excited when nkotb announced their reunion haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...I just noticed that you are the "tyler" on my friend's blog - one project closer. LOL! It suddenly clicked...yes, I am slow.

    Anyway - it is a small blogging world. I know Kim and Fred from way back ;)

    I am so with you on this one. remember the NKOTB post I did...LOL! Oh the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always get confused about what I should put on the wordpress and typepad pages. On the space for name, am I supposed to put my blog 'name' ET (which is my initials, and I use for sending emails to friends and such) or do I put the regular name I use, Tyler.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!