Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Prayer Asks the Questions

So often, my prayers centre around what God can do for me. I think it's okay to ask God to help us with our struggles and provide us with things we want and need, but I am learning that sometimes (often) God's answer is not as direct as I'd like. You see, He is much more concerned with the condition of my heart than with the circumstances of my life.

I had to share one of those "inspirational emails" that has found its way into my inbox this week, that spoke right to my prayers.

I asked God to take away my habit.
God said, "No. It is not for me to take away,
but for you to give it up."

I asked God to make my handicapped child whole.
God said, "No. His spirit is whole,
his body is only temporary."

I asked God to grant me patience.
God said, "No. Patience is a byproduct of tribulations;
it isn't granted, it is learned."

I asked God to give me happiness.
God said, "No. I give you blessings.
Happiness is up to you."

I asked God to spare me pain.
God said, "No. Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares
and brings you closer to Me."

I asked God to make my spirit grow.
God said, "No. You must grow on your own,
but I will prune you to make you fruitful."

I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life.
God said, "No. I will give you life,
so that you may enjoy all things."

I asked God to help me love others as much as He loves me.
God said, "Ahhhh,
finally you have the idea!"

I needed this little reminder that God truly does provide everything that I need. I just have to decide what to do with it. It's worth saying again - God is more concerned with the condition of my heart than with the circumstances of my life.

holy experience

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem! I love it. It reflects me and my will so often
    Cherry Blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was wonderful...thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminded me of something my husband said to me yesterday when he came home from work. He had been praying for this and that to go well when it struck him that it might be in God's plan for him to handle the mishaps well. Prayer is the only way to stay focused and when we do, we find ways to glorify him in the good and bad. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog....I have spent some time reading yours tonight. I love the journal/prayer request post. I can relate.....I tend to put on a happy face all the time and don't "get real" with my friends...I am working on that, and thankfully, I have 2 friends that I bare it all too. It really is a fine line between whining/moaning/complaining/ and always pretending everything is a-ok.
    Yes, we have terrible days...but they are no fun to post about! :)
    Joyfully,
    Roan

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!