Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Writing on the Wall Headstone

Since this is the post that seems to be found on people's google searches over and over again, I decided it was time to revisit it - with a couple revisions. (Interesting how many people search "caption for life" on a regular basis.)


A good name is more desirable than great riches;
to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

~Proverbs 22:1
Have you ever been in a course where everyone is asked to participate in one of those "life application" activities that involves capturing the essence of your character - who you are and how you lived your life - in short captions? Basically, it's a slightly morbid exercise in selecting the phrase that you would like to see embossed on your own gravestone. Then, of course, the instructor usually makes everyone read it for the rest of the class...

I recently told my husband that if we were to develop a family mission statement I would like it to include the phrase "radically obedient." Because obeying the Lord as soon as He speaks, without question, even when it seems insane (like Noah or Abraham), is a trait that I want to characterize our family's faith journey. That is how I would like to be remembered.

After much contemplation, I've decided that I would like my gravestone to say:

God led, she followed.

Except that I probably won't be the one who actually gets to decide what is written at the head of my burial site. No one says we can't offer suggestions in advance, though! ;)

What would you like your stone to read?


For inspiring this post, I'd like to thank Linda Ellis for her poem, "The Dash."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!