Thursday, October 2, 2008

Enough Already

If you've been reading for a while, you're well aware of my struggle to lose the last "few" post-baby pounds. The battle has been raging for a good nine months, so clearly a little extra baby weight is not my only issue.

Remember my before picture? Sadly, it remains mostly unchanged.

The first problem is this - I LOVE junk food. I have an unhealthy addiction to slurpees, sour candies, potato chips, chocolate, cake, and virtually anything that's good for me. For example, last night I wanted a snack. The only healthy options in my fridge were carrots and grapes (clearly, I need to do some grocery shopping) - either of those would have been a great choice, right? I chose to eat 2 of the kids' wagon wheels instead. They weren't even very good.

The second problem is this - I strongly DISLIKE exercise. Wait, I should reword that one to reflect the truth of the matter. I AM LAZY! Overall, even with five kids and a puppy, my chosen lifestyle is fairly sedentary. Where I am sitting right now is where I love to be.

Now, I don't want to run the risk of becoming body-obsessed like I was in high school (which, when I think of it now, makes me so furious...I mean, how in the world can 108 lbs be fat?!). I don't want to make an idol of my body, the number on the scale, the size of the pants. But it's time for me to stop abusing my body to the other extreme.

So, with much prayer, I am moving forward again. Not to reach a certain number on the scale or a certain size in the clothing department. Rather, I am choosing to respect the body the Lord has given me by filling it with energy-giving foods and mental health-saving exercise.

I can't promise that I won't weigh myself, but I'm going to try to resist the urge. I am going to measure my success by how great I feel after a workout...by how much energy I have to play with the kids or walk the dog...by how my back will stop aching...by how my emotions will begin to level out and make sense...by how strong I feel.

I think God and I finally broke through the barrier. I need to be healthy, not skinny. So, off we go to the grocery store to stock up on some good 'ol fruit and veggies. Then, to the gym. Christine, expect a phone call any minute - I'll be bringing you down in the trenches with me!

4 comments:

  1. Praying all goes well for you! I have struggled with this so much, too. I'm a slurpee addict among other things, though fortunately we don't have them here in Mozambique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. remains unchanged??

    Hey ...I hugged you what...less then two weeks ago...
    You sure felt WAY SMALLER TO ME...
    So may be the scale is lying...and you just need to hug more people!....lol!!

    Either way...I love you...you want more off...I will pray
    For what you want and that the Lord would give it to you,...

    God Bless

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great change of mental thinking! Keep at it - let God lead your heart (and body)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a baby almost 7 months ago, and my hubby (bless his heart) says he wants me to stay exactly like I am right now. Well, he kinda HAS to say that because after having my last son, I was almost right at the same weight I am now (almost 7 mo. later!). That's my thing too, I just want to be healthy. With a little smaller baby pooch in the front (that's all I'm askin'!).

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!