Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Couldn't Have Said It Better...

There have been times in my life when I've found myself confused (surprise, surprise).

We're supposed to love and serve God first, then our husbands, then our children, and so on... But what happens when those things conflict? Then what do we do? Who do we follow?

Here's a practical example for you. Early in our marriage, I was attending Church and (tepidly) following the Lord. Pat wasn't there yet - he wasn't sure about all that 'religious' stuff. I sat in on a powerful sermon about tithing, and felt called to obedience by it. But the money in our account wasn't put there by me, and we had always agreed that expenses over a certain amount needed to be unanimous. To say that Pat wasn't particularly excited about my idea of giving a significant portion of his earnings to a Church he seldom attended is an understatement.

So what was a girl to do? For weeks I obsessed over this - obey God's Word and defy my husband? Honour my husband and disobey God? I did eventually work this out...I found other ways to tithe (of my time and talents) and waited for God to work out the money thing...which he has.

Every now and then, someone asks me about a similar situation. I can look up some handy scripture references for them (Ephesians 5:22-24, I Peter 3:1-5), but it can be so difficult to explain in a way that makes sense!

So, for anyone who's ever asked that question - married or not, in a Christian marriage, unequally yoked - anyone who's ever wondered how to make sense of the confusion, here is a fantastic post that illustrates what God is calling us to (as Christian women, wives, mothers).

Read it, I assure you, this is quality advice!

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, I was lead to you weeks ago. Here's another way I know:

    We went to service this evening. We are in the middle of a series on being a man, and what it means to be a man. This week's sermon was about a man taking responsibility for those around him. Andy talked about men being leaders - it's in their DNA. They were responsible for everything God created, and worked to take care of it. Eve was created to support Adam. Wives need to follow the leader of their family (if there's no one following, there can't be a leader). In return, men have the responsibility to take care of (even die for) their wives and their families, just as Jesus did for his followers.

    I read your entry (and the linked story) today just before heading off to church. So, am I not following my husband???? Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that one.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am back! Thank you so much for the love and prayers! They were truly felt!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!