Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What is Lent all about?

Every year, I hear people talk about what they are giving up for Lent. And I think to myself, "What should I give up for these 40 days?" To be honest, I'm not sure I've truly abstained from anything for the entire Lentin season. In part, I think, because I've never really understood what Lent is all about.

So I went to one of my favourite, trusty sources of information - wikipedia - to find out what this Lent thing is really about. Because we all know that the internet is never wrong...

Given that I am insatiably nosey, I decided that I need to know if you folks out in blog world practice Lent (which I understand can involve abstaining/fasting from something OR adding in a spiritual discipline). So please, do my snoopy little heart a favour and answer my poll. And if you pick the first option, would you mind telling me what you are abstaining from or adding (in the comments section of the post)? Please? :)

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't able to choose two options... I am actually fasting and adding a spiritual discipline... call me the over achiever. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done anything for Lent, but every year always wonder why it's not practiced in the Christian, non-denominatinal faith. It seems like a good thing in many ways - guess I should research it more! I guess one thing that has always turned me away a little bit is that some of the "things" that are given up seem more self-serving than anything.....kind of like, "need to lose weight so I might as well give up chocolate for Lent." Not trying to judge, that's just the impression I sometimes get. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!