Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Do As I Say, Not As I Do

I don't know if you've experienced this, but I've noticed an interesting phenomenon...the more babies I have, the more certain I become about the "right" way of doing things.

Scheduled feedings versus feeding on demand - my philosophy has become "if a boob in the mouth keeps the babe quiet - do it!"

Night waking... Be tough. They can sleep through the night at about six months old if you just make them learn how. Get earplugs and let 'em go hard at it for a couple nights, then welcome to bliss!

Spit up. Use bibs, don't waste time changing clothes. In fact, why bother with actual clothes?! Sleepers are so much easier. The baby doesn't care what he/she is wearing.

Solids, whole milk, etc. - when should we start? Basically, tell the health nurses what you know they want to hear, and do what works for you.

To those who prefer to heat up the bottles under hot running water - use the microwave, people! It's sooooo much easier.

I am (gasp) becoming like my mother! (No offence, Mom - it's really a statement about all mothers in general. *smile*) It is less and less likely that I will keep my opinions to myself - after all, with all this experience I'm most certainly "right." Right?

Last week I buckled down. I had had enough of being bleary-eyed and just plain exhausted. NO MORE NIGHT BOTTLES! Go ahead and scroll up to the top of the post so you can double-check my opinions...Uh-huh, that's right, six months. Yes, yes, now you can scroll through old posts until you're certain - Malakai is, in fact, fourteen months old. And until last week he was waking up (count 'em) AT LEAST three times per night.

Anyway, you can now let out a cheer for me. We have slept through the night for a week! Yay! Well, not totally through the night, I do have to take him a bottle around 5am to get another hour or so out of him... But hey, it's much better than two weeks ago. :)

At Wal Mart last weekend, though, I made an interesting purchase. One that runs completely contrary to my baby-raising philosophy. Do you ever get to the point where the bottle nipples are sticky-ish and icky? Gross, eh? Most of Kai's bottles have achieved this state of loveliness. Fitting with my philosophy of "off the bottle at a year," the plan was to toss each bottle once the nipple had bit the dust.

Yeah, um, so I picked up a new six-pack of bottle nipples. Because we can only conquer so many key issues at a time, and mastery of the whole sleep thing took about as much energy as I could muster up for the next few months.

So, I'm not Super-Mommy after all. Sorry to disappoint. (But I do give totally great advice about how to do things right. Seriously.)

4 comments:

  1. I so totally agree with you - do what you feel is right as a mom - it is most likely the right thing for you and your baby! I think you are doing a great job! I would let him have the bottle and get the sleep you need! My youngest - now 2 1/2 got off the bottle about 18 months. He did not suffer withdrawl or anything!

    I also agree with your comment on my blog - men can be such babies! Feel my head - I think I have a temperature - that was the last request of the night from dear hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have said it before and I will say it again (and I really don't care if it makes me a horrible person)... Seeing mommies struggle makes me feel better about being a mommy.

    As a single mommy, at times (I am hoping its not the general rule) I do whatever I can to make it through the day. Tonight for example my child had fuite nibs and cheesies for supper. I had to go grocery shopping after work, and that is what she wanted to eat, that is what she got.

    As long as its not illegal to do, do what makes your life easier, in turn that does make you a better mommy. And better mommies have happier children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping in to say "Hi!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! My favorite piece of advice to ALL MOMS...

    "Do what you want. There is an expert who agrees."

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!