Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas Appreciation

Do you ever wonder, "what the heck should I be giving all those teachers for Christmas?"

Maybe you don't bother with this - I understand. There's a part of me that cries out against the senseless guilt-driven tradition of gifting the bus driver, Sunday school teacher, et al. But there's this other part of me - the part that has learned that people do better when encouraged - that tells me I must. Not because I'm obligated, but because I'm called. If I don't take the time to let all these people know how much I value the time and effort they put into building up my children, who will? And truly, there are many who invest much more in my children than what they are paid to! (Have a special needs child - you know what I'm talking about. These people are gifted!)

The difficult thing of giving to a whole bunch of people I really don't know is, well, figuring out what to give! Sometimes, the season gets ahead of me and I'm left on December 15 madly rushing through WalMart to purchase a bunch of chocolates. But when I'm thinking ahead, it's nice to offer something that requires a little more effort (maybe even some kid participation).

This year, our offering will be homemade Saskatoon berry jam, a la Grandma! I'm not really sure the kids helped her at all along the way, but who doesn't love homemade jam?! For next year, though, I just may have found the perfect project - not too difficult for mom AND good for kiddo participation.

Now, you know that crafts hate me. I've grown to accept this aspect of myself. But who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? (Not that I'm an old dog - I'm still young, and more cat-like, if anything.) But seriously - I think I could do this one. Cool, eh? It's simply cutting and gluing. I'm pretty sure I can cut and glue, as can the kids.

But for this year, we'll rely on Grandma (aka Suzie Homemaker) and her homemade jam. Yummy! At least she's related to the kids...that makes it better than buying chocolates, right?!

P.S. I just want to give a shout out to any of you who are employed or volunteer in a position that impacts the lives of kids. Words simply cannot express how precious your work is. Just in case you don't hear it from anyone else this Christmas - THANK-YOU!!!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. Society has ruined the whole concept of what Christmas is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post to get me thinking. Thankfully, I am their teacher, bus driver, librarian, etc. :) I tagged you for a Christmas tag!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!