Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Setting of the Sun

Don't let the sun go down on your anger.
~Ephesians 4:26b (HCSB)


My perspective on these words was changed last night.

I had always assumed that the Lord was instructing us to "make up" before the day ended. So anytime I needed more time to process and cool off, anytime the other person was unwilling to talk, anytime the problem was not fixed before bedtime brought guilt and shame. I felt like a failure as a Christian.

But what if that is NOT what this verse means? God knows that it is unlikely for selfish and flawed humans to resolve their issues in a day. Especially where great hurt has been inflicted. What if He is really just telling us that, before this day ends, we need to bring our anger (and hurt, resentment, frustration, etc.) to Him?

If we go to Him and pour out our hearts, "Lord, I'm so angry! I need you to take my pain and my rage - bear it for me - because if I hang onto it I will surely collapse," isn't He faithful to take our deepest emotions and heal our brokenness?

Don't go to bed angry. Turn it over to God and let Him work.

*credit goes to Beth Moore and "It's Tough Being a Woman" for my new revelation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, it seems that the time has just FLOWN by since we got home. I've lost all track of my days. I missed the 20th for The God Chronicles! Ack! But I can't just skip this month (especially since Bobbie told me she's got something for it, Christine is finally blogging, and my ever-faithful TGC participant Hope is probably wondering what's up), so we will just postpone it by a few days.

For this month, please join me in chronicling God's work in your life on Friday, April 24th.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering what was up! :) I will be somewhat late with mine because I will be out of town until the 27th, but I'll link up when I get 'er done!

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. The "zoo" here has been exactly that lately! I'll be updating soon (and by soon I mean after I get back and after The God Chronicles!) and let you know what's going on at Pinkadoodledoo!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!