Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Do You Have a Plan?

In Sunday's service, we were encouraged and inspired to be intentional in teaching our children to know God, to love Him, and to live His way.

We say grace at meals, we pray bedtime prayers together, we talk about how Jesus wants us to act (usually in situations when the behaviour hasn't been at its best), we pray for people in need, we talk about how God has provided all the things we have, and we share when He provides something extra.

But when it comes to the Word of God, we're not doing so hot at teaching our children.

They attend Sunday school and a Christian school. They are learning the Bible stories. They bring home memory verses that we help them with.

But as a family, we should be studying God's Word together. I absolutely believe this.

I need a plan. I am a 'plan on paper' kinda girl, and if it's not written out and scheduled into my Outlook chances are it won't get done. Problem is, I'm not really sure where to start! This is where you come in. I need to know what you do to teach your children from the Bible. Do you have a plan?

Go ahead and leave nice, long, six paragraph comments! What do you do at home to teach your children to know God, to love Him, and to live His way?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how old your children are, but I bought the Jesus Storybook Bible about a month ago, and it is AMAZING. Best kids' Bible I've ever seen. It moves me every time. That would be a good one for younger children, and even older, because EACH and EVERY story ties into the Story of Jesus. Amazing. Also, we try to read the chapter of Proverbs that corresponds with the day of the month (so, on September 24, read Proverbs 24). You could try doing that at breakfast, or maybe at supper. Another idea that I'm hoping to implement in my own personal devotion time is to read through a Chronological Bible. I'm so excited to get one of those because I think it will really help tie all the books together for me. I think a lot of the scripture will have even deeper meaning because I'll understand more fully what was going on at the time that it was written.

    Oh my. Longest. Comment. EVER. I apologize. :)

    Danielle the Mama Bird at http://muse-and-babble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deut 6 comes to mind.

    You know we have our morning Bible-time routine, and the reading kids have their own Bible-time and we discuss what they read together.

    I also memorize scripture with the kids - chapters like Luke 2:1-21, I Corin 13, Psalm 139. This is the best way for me to learn it!

    And I try to be intentional with our conversations around the kitchen table. I might ask how they applied what we talked about that morning. Or I might just start a conversation asking them what they would do in certain situations based on Scripture. Or saying, "Do you know what I read in the Bible this morning?" and then sharing how God spoke to me.

    For me it was really about adopting the habit of using/discussing Scripture when we sit, walk, lie down, rise, etc, turning any opportunity into a teachable moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was intrigued by the 'Jesus Storybook bible' mentioned in the first note... and so I looked it up to find out more about it.

    I read a negative review on it here... http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0310708257/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!