Monday, July 12, 2010

Burning Coals

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each wit six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another:

"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."

At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.

"Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."

Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send" And who will go for us?"

And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

~Isaiah 6:1-8

It's been five months since I read this passage. Five months since I fell on my face before the Lord in repentance. Six months since I proclaimed this to be my year of consecration. Yesterday, as I stood in church and let the words of the prophet Isaiah flood over me, I sensed the Spirit asking me for a halfway point progress report.

He knows where I've made strides, where I've but taken a few steps, and where I've not moved at all (or fallen back to where I started). He doesn't need me to present Him with a report card. Yet I clearly sensed Him asking, "Tyler, how have you been doing? Are you any closer to the holiness I desire in your life than you were at the start of this year?"

My answer, a feeble, "Well, I think so." Conviction. "A little bit." More conviction. "I guess I could have put more effort in, been more intentional." Even more conviction. "Oh Lord, woe to me! I am a woman of unclean lips! In spite of my desire to do better and be better I continually fail. My lips spew forth impatience, selfish words, profanities." And I know in that moment that the impurities that spill from my mouth are but an overflow from a mind filled with filth and a heart set on selfish desires.

Once again, I will stop and turn. Turn away from the evil that I repeatedly find myself drawn into; turn back towards the God who loves me. And I will try, once again, to follow Him, be like Him, and serve Him.

Thank-you, Sandy, for giving us the opportunity to share how God speaks to us this summer.

3 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes! Yes!

    The journey to holiness is so hard. I feel like I've taken two steps forward and sometimes four steps back.

    Thank you for sharing; knowing someone else is on this journey is an encouragement to my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "He doesn't need me to present Him with a report card. Yet I clearly sensed Him asking, "Tyler, how have you been doing?"

    That is such a great way to word this.

    Thank YOU for sharing where you are. It's not easy to put yourself out there and let the world see your private conversations with God. But there is something very attractive and compelling about us when we do. I think maybe because it allows others to see God's accessibility.

    Blessings,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tyler, for sharing your heart on this journey to holiness. We are all in the journey right there with you. . . one a step ahead . . . another a step behind.

    Isn't it great to be in it together and I add my thanks to Sandy, for encouraging us to share it.

    Blessings on you as you keep on keeping on.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by! My hope is that we can engage in a conversation together. I love to reply to your comments, but I need your help to make that happen.

If you have a blogger profile, would you consider editing your profile to "show my email address?" Then, when I receive your comment in my email inbox, I can reply directly to you.

Alternately, you can check the box "email follow up comments to..." so that I can reply to you right here. (You will also receive other readers' comments using this method.)

I'm excited to get to know you better!